Piper, John: Parthenay
A classis image of John Piper’s from the 1950s, Parthenay uses colours typical of the period and represents a very English form of semi-abstraction, a superb work. A limited edition lithograph, signed and numbered 23 of 70, and newly framed.
Parthenay is an ancient fortified town and commune in the Deux-Sèvres Department of the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region of western France
More images can be provided on request.
Artist: John Piper (British, 1903-1992), signed and marked in pencil in the margin
Title and date: Parthenay, 1958, (Levinson 109)
Size: 45.5 x 56.5 cms, framed.
Born in Epsom, John Egerton Christmas Piper studied at Richmond School of Art and the Royal College of Art from 1926-8. In the mid 1930s, after a visit to Paris, he turned to abstraction. He became a member of the London Group in 1933 and the ‘Seven and Five’ group in 1934-5. During this period he became friends with Oliver Simon of the Curwen Press and his interest in lithography and print making grew. During the Second World War, Piper was appointed as an official war artist recording the effects of the blitz on Britain’s buildings. After the war, he became a Trustee of the Tate and National Galleries and in 1959 he became a member of the Royal Fine Art Commission. Piper is best known for his extensive studies of British architecture and landscape in oil, watercolour and print, and for his photography, stained glass, ceramics, fabric design, murals, stage sets and costume design. His work is held in many Museums and Galleries.