Piper, John: High Cross, Hampshire
An attractive limited edition lithograph in excellent condition, numbered 13 of 75, and sympathetically framed.
St Peter’s Church, High Cross in the Hampshire village of Froxfield was built in 1862 after the original Norman parish church at Froxfield Green was demolished although the church retains the Norman pillars from the original church. It is one of four churches in the parish of Steep and Froxfield with Privett and is Grade II listed.
More images can be provided on request.
Artist: John Piper, (British, 1903-1992), signed and numbered in pencil in the margin
Title and date: High Cross, Hampshire, 1978, (Levinson 284)
Size: 40.6 x 54.6 cms.
Born in Epsom, John Egerton Christmas Piper studied at Richmond School of Art and the Royal College of Art from 1926-8. In the mid 1930s, after a visit to Paris, he turned to abstraction. He became a member of the London Group in 1933 and the ‘Seven and Five’ group in 1934-5. During this period he became friends with Oliver Simon of the Curwen Press and his interest in lithography and print making grew. During the Second World War, Piper was appointed as an official war artist recording the effects of the blitz on Britain’s buildings. After the war, he became a Trustee of the Tate and National Galleries and in 1959 he became a member of the Royal Fine Art Commission. Piper is best known for his extensive studies of British architecture and landscape in oil, watercolour and print, and for his photography, stained glass, ceramics, fabric design, murals, stage sets and costume design. His work is held in many Museums and Galleries.