Piper, John: Fotheringhay, Northamptonshire: medieval stone – SOLD
From the ‘Retrospect of Churches’ portfolio of 25 lithographs of different aspects of church architecture, a proof copy of this dynamic limited edition lithograph in excellent condition, signed and recently framed in oak.
The Church of St Mary the Virgin and All Saints, Fotheringhay is a remarkable 15th century parish church, one of the finest and most historically important churches in Northamptonshire. It is noted for containing a mausoleum to leading members of the Yorkist dynasty of the Wars of the Roses.
More images can be provided on request.
Artist: John Piper (British, 1903-1992)
Title and date: Fotheringhay, Northamptonshire: medieval stone, 1964, (Levinson 135)
Size: 48.5 x 68.7 cms.
Out of stock
Born in Epsom, John Egerton Christmas Piper studied at Richmond School of Art and the Royal College of Art from 1926-8. In the mid 1930a, after a visit to Paris, he turned to abstraction. He became a member of the London Group in 1933 and the ‘Seven and Five’ group in 1934-5. During this period he became friends with Oliver Simon of the Curwen Press and his interest in lithography and print making grew. During the Second World War, Piper was appointed as an official war artist recording the effects of the blitz on Britain’s buildings. After the war, he became a Trustee of the Tate and National Galleries and in 1959 he became a member of the Royal Fine Art Commission. Piper is best known for his extensive studies of British architecture and landscape in oil, watercolour and print, and for his photography, stained glass, ceramics, fabric design, murals, stage sets and costume design. His work is held in many Museums and Galleries.