Piper, John: Easton, Portland, Dorset: St George Reforne, an 18th century church among the quarries
From the ‘Retrospect of Churches’ portfolio of 25 lithographs of different aspects of church architecture, a proof copy of this limited edition lithograph in excellent condition, signed and recently framed in oak.
More images can be provided on request.
St George’s Reforne is a Grade 1 listed former parish church originating in 1754 and closed in 1917. Built from Portland stone, it is a complete 18th century church and interior and, after decades of neglect, it is now in the care of the Historic Churches Conservation Trust.
Artist: John Piper (British, 1903-1992)
Title and date: Easton, Portland, Dorset: St George Reforne, an 18th century church among the quarries, 1964, (Levinson 137)
Size: 63.8 x 50.2 cms.
Born in Epsom, John Egerton Christmas Piper studied at Richmond School of Art and the Royal College of Art from 1926-8. In the mid 1930a, after a visit to Paris, he turned to abstraction. He became a member of the London Group in 1933 and the ‘Seven and Five’ group in 1934-5. During this period he became friends with Oliver Simon of the Curwen Press and his interest in lithography and print making grew. During the Second World War, Piper was appointed as an official war artist recording the effects of the blitz on Britain’s buildings. After the war, he became a Trustee of the Tate and National Galleries and in 1959 he became a member of the Royal Fine Art Commission. Piper is best known for his extensive studies of British architecture and landscape in oil, watercolour and print, and for his photography, stained glass, ceramics, fabric design, murals, stage sets and costume design. His work is held in many Museums and Galleries.