Piper, John: Chiesa della Salute
This lovely screenprinted ‘Sanderlin’ cotton fabric was one of 5 designs commissioned from John Piper as part of the Arthur Sanderson and Company centenary celebrations in 1960.
This image of the Chiesa della Salute church in Venice was completed in 1959 as a result of a commission by the Arthur Jeffress Gallery in London. The Salute church is located at Punta della Dogana in the Dorsoduro sestiere of the city of Venice, Italy. It stands on the narrow finger of Punta della Dogana, between the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal, at the Bacino di San Marco, making the church visible when entering the Piazza San Marco from the water.
The panel is professionally mounted, glazed and framed on commission, and can be presented including the lefthand selvedge which records the name of the fabric and its designer as you prefer.
More images can be provided on request.
Artist: John Piper (1903 – 1992)
Title and date: Chiesa della Salute, 1959
Size: 47.0 x 57.0 cms.
Born in Epsom, John Egerton Christmas Piper studied at Richmond School of Art and the Royal College of Art from 1927-8. In the mid 1930s, after a visit to Paris, he turned to abstraction. He became a member of the London Group in 1933 and the ‘Seven and Five’ group in January 1934. During this period he became friends with Oliver Simon of the Curwen Press and his interest in lithography and print making grew. During the Second World War, Piper was appointed as an official war artist recording the effects of the blitz on Britain’s buildings, especially churches. After the war, he became a Trustee of the Tate and National Galleries and in 1959 he became a member of the Royal Fine Art Commission. Piper is best known for his extensive studies of British architecture and landscape in oil, watercolour and print, and for his photography, stained glass, ceramics, fabric design, murals, stage sets and costume design as well as some 40 years editing the Shell Guide series. His work is held in many Museums and Galleries.