Josset, Lawrence: Smith’s Wharf


A skilful watercolour with pen and ink capturing this Thames-side warehouse in its final days before demolition, signed, inscribed 1958 and framed.

Smith’s Wharf was built in the 19th century immediately north of Queenhithe Dock on the northern side of the River Thames near Southwark Bridge, it was replaced by residential and office development at Queen’s Quay after the 1960s.¬†Archaeological studies indicate that a sequence of waterfront constructions dating from the Roman to the post-medieval period survived beneath Smith’s Wharf and the buildings at Queen’s Quay.

Artist: Lawrence Josset, (1910-1995)

Title and date: Smith’s Wharf, 1958

Size: 12.5 x 23.5 cms.


Artist description:

Born in Croydon, Cambridgeshire, Lawrence Josset studied at Bromley and Beckenham Schools of Art from 1930-31 and at the engraving school at the Royal College of Art from 1932-35. He worked briefly with Waterlow’s, the banknote engravers, and this attention to detail has marked him as one of the finest intaglio artists of the 20th Century. He then embarked on a 60 year freelance career engraving maps, sporting prints and botanical subjects. He was a member of the Royal Society of Painter-Etchers and Engravers and of the Art Workers’ Guild. He exhibited at the Royal Academy.