Piper, John: The Glyders
This lovely screenprinted fabric was manufactured by Arthur Sanderson who commissioned the artist as part of the Sanderson Fabrics centenary celebrations in 1960. The design has a strong Welsh influence, the word ‘glyder’ is derived from the Welsh ‘gludair’ meaning a heap of stones, and the Glyderau is a range of mountains in Snowdonia which Piper often painted.
In addition to the green version available here, it was also produced in grey and purple colour ways. This is a seldom found design in excellent condition and has been professionally mounted, glazed and framed.
More images can be provided on request.
Artist: John Piper (1903 – 1992)
Title and date: The Glyders, 1960
Size: 50 x 60 cms.
Born in Epsom, John Egerton Christmas Piper studied at Richmond School of Art and the Royal College of Art from 1927-8. In the mid 1930s, after a visit to Paris, he turned to abstraction. He became a member of the London Group in 1933 and the ‘Seven and Five’ group in January 1934. During this period he became friends with Oliver Simon of the Curwen Press and his interest in lithography and print making grew. During the Second World War, Piper was appointed as an official war artist recording the effects of the blitz on Britain’s buildings, especially churches. After the war, he became a Trustee of the Tate and National Galleries and in 1959 he became a member of the Royal Fine Art Commission. Piper is best known for his extensive studies of British architecture and landscape in oil, watercolour and print, and for his photography, stained glass, ceramics, fabric design, murals, stage sets and costume design as well as some 40 years editing the Shell Guide series. His work is held in many Museums and Galleries.