Piper, John: Sutton Waldron
This is the earliest lithograph by John Piper in the collection and represents a simplicity of style and a modest palette which is typical of this time. Unnumbered from an edition of only 50, it dates from the period when Piper had turned his attention to the interiors of minor churches which he felt were in danger of being overlooked.
Located in the Iwerne Valley in Dorset, St Bartholomew’s church was designed by George Alexander and completed in 1847. It is widely admired for its interior which is a rare surviving example of the work of the graphic and interior designer Owen Jones, who was particularly influential at the time of The Great Exhibition in 1851. As well as being painted by John Piper, it was written about by Sir John Betjeman who described it as “one of the best and most lovely examples of Victorian architecture“.
More images can be provided on request.
Artist: John Piper (British, 1903-1992)
Title and date: Sutton Waldron, 1948, (Levinson 69)
Size: 46.3 x 34.2 cms.
Born in Epsom, John Egerton Christmas Piper studied at Richmond School of Art and the Royal College of Art from 1926-8. In the mid 1930s, after a visit to Paris, he turned to abstraction. He became a member of the London Group in 1933 and the ‘Seven and Five’ group in 1934-5. During this period he became friends with Oliver Simon of the Curwen Press and his interest in lithography and print making grew. During the Second World War, Piper was appointed as an official war artist recording the effects of the blitz on Britain’s buildings. After the war, he became a Trustee of the Tate and National Galleries and in 1959 he became a member of the Royal Fine Art Commission. Piper is best known for his extensive studies of British architecture and landscape in oil, watercolour and print, and for his photography, stained glass, ceramics, fabric design, murals, stage sets and costume design. His work is held in many Museums and Galleries.