Piper, John: Ironbridge
A striking and imaginative limited edition lithograph, signed and framed. Its stylistic approach is typical of that adopted by John Piper at the time in both his painting and especially his stained glass designs, not least in his use of explosive marks and ‘squiggles’ which can also be seen in Florence Relief Landscape and Garn Fawr in the Fifties Art collection.
At the heart of the Ironbridge Gorge, near Telford, and associated with the origins of the Industrial Revolution, Ironbridge is a town on the River Severn in Shropshire. It takes its name from the 30 metre Iron Bridge, the first iron bridge in the world, which opened in 1781 and is still in use.
More images can be provided on request.
Artist: John Piper (British, 1903-1992)
Title and date: Ironbridge, 1966, (Levinson 178)
Size: 48.2 x 64.3 cms.
Born in Epsom, John Egerton Christmas Piper studied at Richmond School of Art and the Royal College of Art from 1926-8. In the mid 1930a, after a visit to Paris, he turned to abstraction. He became a member of the London Group in 1933 and the ‘Seven and Five’ group in 1934-5. During this period he became friends with Oliver Simon of the Curwen Press and his interest in lithography and print making grew. During the Second World War, Piper was appointed as an official war artist recording the effects of the blitz on Britain’s buildings. After the war, he became a Trustee of the Tate and National Galleries and in 1959 he became a member of the Royal Fine Art Commission. Piper is best known for his extensive studies of British architecture and landscape in oil, watercolour and print, and for his photography, stained glass, ceramics, fabric design, murals, stage sets and costume design. His work is held in many Museums and Galleries.