Piper, John: Bethesda Baptist Chapel – SOLD
A stylish limited edition lithograph in the style of a photo-montage, numbered 60 of 75 and framed. The image is in very good condition with slight waving at the upper margin, reframing with a mount would conceal this.
Located in Bethesda Street, the first Bethesda Baptist Chapel opened in 1649, was rebuilt in 1830, modified and enlarged in 1861 then rebuilt again in 1882 in a Neo-Classical style. It is now Grade II listed.
We also have available the companion limited edition print, Swansea Chapel: https://fiftiesart.com/product/piper-john-swansea-chapel/
More images can be provided on request.
Artist: John Piper (British, 1903-1992), signed.
Title and date: Bethesda Baptist Chapel, 1966, (Levinson 172)
Size: 51.2 x 68.0 cms.
Out of stock
Born in Epsom, John Egerton Christmas Piper studied at Richmond School of Art and the Royal College of Art from 1926-8. In the mid 1930a, after a visit to Paris, he turned to abstraction. He became a member of the London Group in 1933 and the ‘Seven and Five’ group in 1934-5. During this period he became friends with Oliver Simon of the Curwen Press and his interest in lithography and print making grew. During the Second World War, Piper was appointed as an official war artist recording the effects of the blitz on Britain’s buildings. After the war, he became a Trustee of the Tate and National Galleries and in 1959 he became a member of the Royal Fine Art Commission. Piper is best known for his extensive studies of British architecture and landscape in oil, watercolour and print, and for his photography, stained glass, ceramics, fabric design, murals, stage sets and costume design. His work is held in many Museums and Galleries.